Parents who have to hear that their child has autism perceive this condition as a death sentence. What is this mysterious disease, what are the reasons for its development and can it be recognized at an early stage? Let us consider in this material.
What is autism?
Autism is a disorder of mental and psychological development, in which there is a marked lack of emotional manifestation and sphere of communication. In translation, the word “autism” refers to the person who has passed away, or the person within himself. The person suffering from such illness never shows the emotions, gestures and the speech address to associates, and its actions often lack social sense.
Many parents are concerned about the question, how to understand that the child has autism and at what age this disease first appears? Most often such a diagnosis is made to children aged 3 to 5 years and called PDA (early childhood autism) or Canner’s syndrome. Clinical manifestations of this disease, as well as the principles of treatment, depend on the form of autism and are most often manifested in disorders of facial expressions, gestures, loudness and speech intelligibility.
What are the causes of the disease?
In most cases, children with autism are well developed physically and have a pleasant appearance, that is, by appearance it is impossible to say that this child has any disease of the nervous system. The exact causes of autism are unknown to specialists, but there are a number of factors that may contribute to the development of this disease:
- CEREBRAL PALSY;
- oxygen deficiency during pregnancy or during childbirth;
- infectious diseases such as rubella, cytomegalovirus that the mother has suffered during pregnancy;
- obesity in the mother (doctors noted that the risk of autism in the child is higher if the mother during pregnancy was obese and has other metabolic disorders in the body);
- hereditary predisposition – if the mother or the father has already had cases of autism in children.
How does a child with autism perceive the world around him or her?
In a child with autism, as a rule, a child cannot connect the details of any action into one chain. A child with autism almost in each case can not distinguish between inanimate objects from inanimate, and the person sees not as a whole, but as a “set” of separate parts of the body. All surrounding external influences (touch, light, sound, close contact) have an irritant effect on the autistic, so the patient most often closes himself and refuses to contact even with close people.
Symptoms and signs of autism
Autism in children is expressed by certain clinical signs. Early childhood autism may occur for the first time even in a year old child. Of course, only a specialist who knows the problem can accurately diagnose it, but parents may suspect the pathology in their child if he often has the following conditions:
- When talking to an adult, he takes his eyes away and never looks into the eyes (absent look);
- is not interested in communicating with peers, prefers to play by himself and leaves the playground;
- does not like to be touched, and always gets nervous;
- is sensitive to some loud sounds;
- does not talk, is more silent, and if he speaks, he can not always clearly express what he wants;
- is often hysterical;
- passive or, conversely, hyperactive;
- is not aware of the danger of the situation, for example, he pushes objects into the socket, takes sharp objects in his hands, tries to cross the road on which the car drives at high speed.